Monday, September 23, 2013

Therapy

So, I have 29 views so far...lol I am sorry to the 29 people that wasted brain cells reading my dribble. Perhaps if this can speak to one person, let them know they are not alone, it is worth people reading.

This being said, I had therapy today. I took her an email from a therapist that is part of my private yahoo group, who discussed cognitive behavior therapy and its role. It was really to address the issue of judgement. I didn't really think about it prior to reading the therapist's thoughts, but I do believe the act of making a judgement against the person or thing causing the noise or movement is happening. It is human nature to judge. We make judgments or "assess" situations around us all day, everyday. I get angry that my neighbors blare their outdoor television because seriously, the world includes more people in it than just them. No one else wants to hear their television day-in and day-out. I easily judge them as selfish and inconsiderate, as does most of the neighborhood.

It becomes trickier when its your family. I love my mother and brother dearly. So it pains me that I think about them in the ways I do sometimes. Why must they fidget so often. Why must they not be able to sit still for 2 seconds?

This was the long way around saying that I am aware that I do indeed make a judgement often about the people creating the noise or movement that brings me anxiety.

This being said, I am positive that this issue so beyond judgement. I am positive I don't judge my 11 year old son, yet he is beginning to trigger my anxiety. Sadly, he himself suffers from symptoms of Misophonia. I truly believe the expert guesses that this is a neurological problem seated in psychological behaviors. Unfortunately, this seems to make it impossible to figure out which end to start with.

I ordered a guide to cognitive behavior therapy for anxiety this week. I am looking forward to finding ways to becoming a more positive, healthier thinking individual, even if sound and I are still enemies.

1 comment:

  1. We are dealing with Misophonia through my 12 year old son. The biggest stumbling block for all of us is that there is no clear path. We have to pave the way for others. I agree that this is a Neurological issue with a psychological component. It is awesome that you are trying to hit it from both angles. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete